Stop buyin this shit for $5 a bottle and start making it yourself. Don’t be lazy.
This barbecue sauce is simple, finger lickin’ good, and darn cheaper than its store bought cousins.
No matter if you have all or two of these spices, you can substitute them for something else or just leave them out. Use your better judgment to create your ideal barbecue sauce.
I’m convinced tomato sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup, and vinegar would make a pretty good sauce on their own.
Give us your ideas in the comments below!
Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce
You're gonna wanna put it on everything
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 4 tbs maple syrup*
- 3 tbs vinegar*
- 1 1/2 tbs gluten-free tamari sauce
- 1 1/2 tbs liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp stevia extract*
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small sauce-pot over medium heat.
- Once the sauce comes to a simmer, turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes or until thick and smooth.
- Store in the fridge for up to two months.
*Brown sugar or molasses are also great sweeteners for this sauce.
*I used white wine vinegar here, but most vinegars will fit the part.
*If you don’t have stevia on hand, simply double the amount of maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice) for adequate taste.