I don’t care who you are, mac n’ cheese is dang irresistible. Even shitty mac n’ cheese is pretty good.
Have you ever had that one vegan mac n’ cheeze from the box? The one that you want to hate with every bone of your body but simply can’t because it’s just so friggin’ good?
None the less, we don’t settle for anything less than the kitties’ titties here at No Eggs or Ham, which is why we’ve conjured up this recipe for you.
Butternut squash and cashews are the cutest new couple on the block, and they’re responsible for carrying this dish all the way up to food heaven. Praise Jesus.
Oh, and nutritional yeast. Lots of nutritional yeast.
Like what you taste? Sign up for our email list to receive ewwy gooey insider goodness!
Have a dish you’ve always wanted to veganized? Submit it here – Kim and I will do our best to create a recipe that satisfies your sensations.
Vegan Mac N' Cheeze
Super uber yummy creamy mac n' cheezy goodness
- 1 lb gluten-free pasta elbows (brown rice pasta is my fave)
- 1/2 of large butternut squash, roasted
- 1/2 c cashews, soaked*
- 1/2 an onion, diced (white, yellow, or sweet)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 c unsweetened cashew milk (almond or soy are suitable as well)
- 1 1/2 c nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- sea salt
- olive oil
Mushroom Bacon (optional):
- 8 oz thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms*
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- To soak, place 1/2 cup raw cashews in a container, complete submerge in warm water, and add a tablespoon of salt. Soak for 2 hours, drain, and rinse before use.
- To roast squash, pre-heat oven to 375 F. Peel squash, cut in half, remove seeds, and dice into small chunks. Toss with olive oil and sea salt to cover.
- Roast unit fork tender and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- To make mushroom bacon, toss your shrooms with a heavy pinch of sea salt, a touch of black pepper, and just enough olive oil to coat, about a 1/2 tbs. Bake at 350 F until crispy, about 20-30 minutes.
- Cook pasta via package’s instructions along with a tablespoon of salt.
- Heat small/medium pan over medium heat. Cover bottom with thin layer of olive oil, add onions and a heavy pinch of sea salt.
- Once onions are soft and brown around the edges, about 5 minutes, add garlic and continue cooking for another minute.
- Transfer veggies, squash, cashews, all other ingredients, plus salt to taste (about 1 tsp) to blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
- After you’ve drained your pasta, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Add cheeze sauce into the pot you’ve boiled the pasta in and cook until it begins to bubble. Add in the pasta and stir to combine.
- Serve with mushroom bacon and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast or vegan parm!
*If you’re in a rush, you don’t have to soak the cashews, simply skip that step and continue on with the recipe.
*You can use baby bella mushrooms, as shown in the photo, however, shiitakes reign supreme for this application.