Everyone is scared of pasta salad. Fact.
For good reason too – who in their right mind boils pasta just to stash it in the chill chest afterwards??
Kim, nor myself, have ever been fans of pasta salad – i.e. we would NEVER purposely buy some in a restaurant or grocery store, which begs the question, how did we get here?
Well friends, barriers are meant to be broken. And when we have an idea for potentially dank food, we follow through with that idea, no matter what rhetoric stands in the way. We are so glad we did, because this pasta is FUCKING DELECTABLE.
So delectable, in fact, we made it twice. We breakin’ personal records over here at No Eggs or Ham, you guys.
Proper pasta salad must have an adherent dressing, fillings that don’t fall to the bottom of the bowl, and contain an element of flavor that makes the dish POP. Given these standards, the base of this dish is sturdy – yet tender – gluten free fusilli noodles, supported by slices of fresh red onion, sweet peas, & petite chunks of red bell pepper. What brings the dish together is creamy mayo dressing infused with liquid smoke, agave, lime juice, and tamari sauce.
Top this salad with 3-ingredient, 30 minute, mushroom bacon, and you have a gourmet meal on your hands.
Now that’s pazazz.
Despite childhood trauma, may you look past your doubts and give this pasta salad a try. It’s seriously worth every. single. bite.
Like what you taste? Leave a comment, rating, or sign up for our email list. Cheers!
Smoky Pasta Salad
Gluten free, vegan pasta salad with fresh veggies and zesty, smoky, creamy dressing.
- 2 c gluten-free fusilli pasta (about 1/2 lb)
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly diced
- 3/4 c vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 of a lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 batch crispy mushroom bacon
- Cook pasta according to package directions along with several heavy pinches of salt. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir/whisk all dressing ingredients together until smooth.
- Stir in pasta, peas, peppers, and onion until dressing is evenly distributed.
- Cover with plastic wrap or place in lidded container and let marinate in fridge for at least an hour, up to 2 days.
- Top with mushroom bacon and enjoy for lunch, dinner, or late night snack!