Cereal has accompanied me throughout most of my life – as a kid, I sat with it in laughter as I watched morning cartoons, in middle school, I hurriedly poured countless bowls for myself before zooming out the door to catch my bus to school, and as an old teenager, I reached for boxes of granola when I was ridden with the muchies at 12 am.
There’s little as satisfying as loading up a deep mug with crunchy granola and filling it to the brim with cashew coconut milk, creating a combination of flavors akin to yin and yang. Soulful granola floats among a sea of liquid velvet, the essence of one infusing into the other rapidly. With every dip of the spoon, they learn more about each other, spiraling closer towards oneness. It isn’t until the final dive of the spoon that the velvet and cereal have completed their fusion, at which point, they cease to exist.
Food that’s crafted with a tender hand, compassionate heart, and an attentive eye is always more nurturing to our bodies, mind, and soul, than food found in stores or restaurants.
Comprising the dry ingredients is a mixture of rolled oats, chopped pecans, coconut shreds, and puffed brown rice, which are then roasted until nutty, crispy, and lightly caramelized. Then, to hold it together, is a mixture of almond butter, date paste, melted coconut oil, and liquid stevia, seasoned with a touch of cinnamon and sea salt. The wet and dry mixture (with the exception of the puffed brown rice) then meet in holy matrimony where they’re baked until crunchy, and tossed with the toasted brown rice puffs along with freeze dried strawberries and blueberries to add a touch of bright fruitiness to this hearty bowl of cereal.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do; If you like what your tastebuds are tellin’ ya, leave a rating, share your thoughts in the comments, or show us your own creations @noeggsorham on Instagram.
Cinnamon Toasted Coconut Cereal
Crunchy cereal that's as heart warming as it is light and fruity.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 6 medium pitted dates
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted almond butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp liquid stevia extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups puffed brown rice
- 1/4 c freeze dried strawberries (optional)
- 1/4 c freeze dried blueberries (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. To one cookie sheet, add oats and pecans. To a separate one, add brown rice puffs. Place in pre-heated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add coconut shreds to oat mixture, and stir the contents of both sheets. Place back in oven for another five minutes, then set aside.
- While the dry ingredients are roasting, prepare the wet mixture by melting coconut oil and almond butter together in a small sauce pot over low heat. Then, puree or chop dates into a paste using a small food processor or a knife (reference second photo from top).
- In a small bowl, mash/mix together date paste, melted coconut oil, almond butter, cinnamon, stevia extract, and salt until well incorporated (reference third photo from the top).
- In a large bowl, combine the toasted oat mixture with the date mix and stir to incorporate. Once all the dry ingredients are coated with the sticky mix, transfer to cookie sheet and place in oven for an additional 8 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove and let cool, which will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Toss toasted puffed brown rice, cooled granola, and freeze dried berries together and store in an air-tight container for up to two weeks. If you have a moisture remover packet, toss that into the container for extra fresh storage.
One thought on “ Cinnamon Toasted Coconut Cereal ”
This is such a good idea, thanks for sharing :)