WE’RE NOT OBSESSED WITH BOBA. YOU ARE.
… Okay, we’re a little obsessed, but can you blame us?! We live in the boba mecca of the West, aka San Gabriel, California where there’s a tea shop on every main street’s corner. It’s only natural we adapt to the environment and form a low-key addiction.
This specific concoction is the result of not knowing what to do with a generous care package from Nature’s Charm, filled with canned coconut goods and sweet sauces like the vegan butterscotch we’re using today. We wanted to transform that complex, gooey, and nostalgic goodness into a drink unlike any we’d ever heard of. The result is a beverage that’s more dessert than mid-day pick-me-up, which is fine by us, because this combination is totally worth the indulgence.
We hope you guys enjoy the recipe, it’s:
- Quick, easy, and fun
- Sweet, aromatic, and complex
- Creamy, chewy, and rich
If you like what your eyes are tasting, then share this recipe with your friends on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest at @noeggsorham! For more flame-emoji photos, geeky food talk, and mouth-watering dishes, subscribe to our email list. Tag us in a photo when you create one of our recipes at home so we can share it!
For those times you want dessert but don’t want to pick up utensils.
White Chocolate Butterscotch Milk with Brown Sugar Boba, Dark Chocolate Drizzle, and Torched Marshmallows (vegan)
Creamy, rich, and decadent dessert in a cup. <em>Don't forget to steal a few large straws from your local boba shop!</em>
- 1/2 c (120 grams) vegan butterscotch or caramel sauce
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (16 grams) raw cacao/cocoa butter
- 24 oz (3 cups) unsweetened soy milk or favorite milk alternative
- 3/4 cup tapioca pearls*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- boba in brown sugar syrup
- chocolate syrup
- large marshmallows
- ice (optional)
- Boba: Bring at least 10 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot over high heat. Add in tapioca pearls and continue to cook on high heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Kill the heat, place on a lid, and let sit for another 15 minutes. Strain through a colander and rinse under cold water for 30 seconds.
- While boba’s cooking, bring brown sugar and water to a boil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Once brown sugar is fully dissolved, remove from heat. Add boba to brown sugar syrup and keep over very low heat until drink is ready; no more than an hour.
- Base: Combine butterscotch sauce and cacao butter in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds, remove, and stir for another 30 seconds. If there’s still chunks of cacao butter after stirring, heat for 10 more seconds or until butter’s completely melted.
- Place soy milk in a large mason jar, add in cacao butterscotch sauce, and shake until homogenous.
- Assembling: Drizzle chocolate syrup on the inside of two 16 oz cups, add half the boba to each (along with a little brown sugar syrup), top with a few ice cubes, and finish each glass with half the butterscotch milk.
- Top each with a few marshmallows, torch until lightly burnt, and enjoy with a boba straw! Alternatively, you can place marshmallows on a stick, “roast” them over a gas stove, then transfer them to the drinks.
*Be sure to grab normal tapioca pearls and not the instant cook kind. If all you can find is the instant-cook variety, follow the directions on their package instead of ours!