Are you scratching your head over the idea of shrimp and oats together in one bowl? Like “those are two things that should never go together?” I would say “let us explain,” so… let us explain. The combination of subtly bouncy *vegan* shrimp and creamy porridge makes for a killer breakfast. If the oats are throwing you off, simply replace the word with “grits” and hopefully things make a ‘lil more sense. After all, this dish is nothing but a spin on good ‘ole shrimp & grits!
A finish of bright orange zest, crisp green onions, and woody bourbon on the shrimp along with a garnish of refreshing cilantro, sweet agave, and toasty pine nuts elevate this bowl of morning porridge to a meal worthy of $18 at your local, minimally decorated, and slightly pretentious cafe!
This dish is:
- An easy, 30-minute breakfast!
- Bright, savory, aromatic, and toasty
- Hearty, creamy, chewy, and crisp
- Creative, comforting, and warming
- Inspired by a recipe from The Flavor Matrix!
If you like what your eyes are tasting, then share this recipe with your friends on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest at @noeggsorham! For more flame-emoji photos, geeky food talk, and mouth-watering dishes, subscribe to our email list. Tag us in a photo when you create one of our recipes at home so we can share it! Stunning bowls by Carthage.Co!
All that’s missing is a Southern-accent, 2nd Amendment quotes, and terrible weather.
Rich & Savory Oats with Orange Bourbon Shrimp (plant-based & gluten-free)
Innovative twist on Southern shrimp & grits. Creamy coconut milk and umami-rich mushroom broth creates porridge with striking depth, while vegan shrimp sautéed with butter, orange zest, and a touch of bourbon whiskey brings bright, dramatic flair.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Shaking pan consistently, add in pine nuts and toast until they’re nutty in aroma and lightly golden in color; about 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and keep out pan.
- Bring coconut milk and mushroom broth to a boil in a medium pot over high heat. Add in oats, reduce heat to medium, and cook—stirring occasionally—until oats are creamy and tender; about 6 minutes. Kill the heat, stir in 2 tablespoons of butter, and place on a lid to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in pan from Step 1 over medium-high heat. Toss in shrimp, a heavy pinch of salt, and cook—stirring occasionally—until shrimp’s lightly browned; about 4 minutes.
- Add in scallions, orange zest, bourbon, and carefully ignite the fire by tossing the food over a gas flame or lighting it directly with a candle lighter. Once it’s died down, kill the heat.
- Note: Please stand back while lighting because it will create a LARGE flame for about 5 seconds. I don’t want anyone to lose their eyebrows while making breakfast.
- Serving: If oat’s become stiff, loosen them up with a touch of coconut milk and mushroom broth. Distribute porridge among two bowls, top with shrimp, and garnish with a drizzle of agave, toasted pine nuts, and chopped cilantro. Enjoy while fresh!