I’ve been making variations of this recipe for a year now and I am so excited to finally share it with you! I promise you, you’ve never had french toast like this before.
This french toast starts with a base of quality gluten free/vegan bread, which takes a dunk into sweet vanilla spice avocado puree, and is then fried in a non stick pan – without any oil – until golden brown and delicious on both sides. After which, it can be stored in the oven around 225° F for up to thirty minutes to keep warm & cozy.
I got the idea to use avocado in place of eggs when I thought back to a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown explains that the fat, protein, and carbohydrate content of an avocado is almost identical to that of an egg, revealing that avocados can be used the same way eggs are in many dishes.
Who would’ve thought, right?
Years later, with that concept in mind, I whipped up my first batch of avocado french toast, and oh my my, what an incredible invention! Since then, I’ve stripped the oil and located a gluten free bread that doesn’t fall apart while being battered, keeping the integrity of this dish true to its ancestors. If you live in the Pacific Northwest, you may just be lucky enough to have a brand of bread named Happy Campers – my favorite variation of which being Hemp! Hemp! Hooray! – chilling on your local grocery store shelf. All their breads are soft, tender, not crumbly, and toast beautifully. Essentially, it is the best store-bought gluten free bread I’ve ever had.
If gluten free bread that doesn’t taste like cardboard can’t be found at your local store, you can try a homemade recipe – my favorite being this one by Fork And Beans – or, you can use almost any regular medium/soft sandwich bread, of which sourdough is my favorite for making french toast.
This french toast is: subtly sweet, laced flavors cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, moist yet firm, easy to make, and only takes thirty minutes from start to finish. Pair with fresh fruit, coconut whipped cream, additional maple syrup, and homemade tempeh bacon (recipe coming soon)!
I seriously hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as we do; share your own creations with us @noeggsorham on Instagram, chat with us in the comments, or simply leave a nice rating.
All the best,
Ryan & Kim
Avocado French Toast
Subtly sweet, moist yet firm, vanilla spice french toast that taste even better than the original.
- 6-8 slices of vegan, gluten free bread
- 3/4 c unsweetened plant based milk
- 1/2 medium sized ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp stevia extract
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Heavy pinch of salt
- Banana slices
- Strawberry slices
- Coconut whipped cream
- Maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to the 200° F.
- Combine all ingredients, except for bread, in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. If it’s so thick it resembles jello more than batter, add another splash of dairy free milk to achieve the right consistency (reference photo in post). Transfer the batter to a bowl large enough to fit the bread.
- Heat a medium/large non-stick pan over medium low heat. Once the pan is hot, dip 1 slice of bread into bowl of batter for 5-7 seconds per side, wipe off the excess, then add to pan. Cook until brown on one side, 2-3 minutes, flip, and cook on opposite side for another 2-3 minutes, or until brown.*
- While the remaining pieces cook, store french toast on a cookie sheet in the oven for up to thirty minutes.
- Repeat step 3 and 4 until every piece is cooked.
- Serve with bananas, strawberries, coconut whipped cream, a light dusting of cinnamon, and extra maple syrup.
*5-7 seconds per side in the batter is what worked best for the bread I use, however, every bread is different, and therefore the amount of time your bread should spend in the batter will differ. I recommend playing around with the length of time you soak your bread to see what you prefer best.